3.22 Austin360 Arts Round-Up:
March 30, the Urban Music Festival will be at Auditorium Shores. Check out info while you listen to our Spotify playlist: http://bit.ly/ZZrD9j
(Photos clockwise from top by Laura Skelding, Ricardo B. Brazziell and Deborah Cannon)
3.20 Austin360 Foodie Highlights:
- Aquaponics farms awash in promise — and, farmers hope, profits: Using fish and pool-bound plants, three local farms are changing the way food is grown. For more pictures, check out our gallery here.
- Doughnuts for breakfast — and lunch, dinner, dessert, too, at Gourdough’s: The new brick-and-mortar take on the popular food truck puts a doughy spin on dining out.
- Broyles: Baker combines love of sweets, nutrition in signature banana bread: A Culinary Institute of America-trained baker shares her secrets.
- In Austin, eat your way across Africa: At restaurants and food trailers, African cuisine feeds a town hungry for international variety.
- Restaurant Jezebel attempts to blaze its own fine dining trail in Austin, but makes some missteps along the way: After a devastating fire in 2010, the restaurant is back, this time with only 8 tables and no menu.
- Broyles: Longtime blogger publishes second food book, ‘Austin Chef’s Table.’: Addie dishes on Poco Cocoa’s Crystal Esquivel and shares a few recipes.
- Brian Malarkey’s Searsucker to open in former Maria Maria space this spring: The ‘Top Chef’ finalist’s restaurant will feature “a re-imagined twist on classic new American dishes.”
Our Austin360 writers pick their favorite music of SXSW 2013. Read more while you listen to our playlist!
(Top photo by Rodolfo Gonzalez; Middle Row photos by Jay Janner; Bottom Row photos by Ashley Landis for Austin American-Statesman)
SXSW Music Day 5 (the final day): Relive the star-studded finale of this year’s festival, and check out some video of up-and-comers:
@lachivagantiva makes the room shake #sxsw #360sxsw by floresnancy15
Went to get pizza from Homeslice, ended up with a new CD from Covela, who just wrapped their 1st SXSW. Safe travels back to Phoenix. #360sxsw by mkblackwell http://instagr.am/p/W8mYcOg8QT/
Crowd of people who did not get into Smashing Pumpkins standing across the street from the Red Bull stage #sxsw #360sxsw by hellotinaphan http://instagr.am/p/W8k1CKIsjq/